IECA Region One Board of Directors' Nomination is Now Open!
IECA’s success as an association is due largely to the commitment, energy and expertise of our volunteers including those who serve on the IECA Region One Board of Directors. As we begin the process of identifying potential Candidates for the Board, please help determine those IECA members whose extensive industry and volunteer experience, as well as outstanding leadership skills, would serve to enhance the IECA Board and our association.
Serving on the IECA Board is both challenging and rewarding. It requires a significant commitment; however, it is one of the most exceptional learning and rewarding experience a member can have. The Board’s primary objective is to serve the IECA membership and to keep IECA moving forward. As such, the IECA Region One Board of Directors is looking for candidates who are recognized as excellent leaders with significant industry knowledge and an ability to think strategically.
Please take a moment to consider peers and colleagues who are members of IECA that you would recommend join the volunteer board of directors. Think about their leadership contributions and their participation in IECA both at the national and chapter level and nominate colleagues who will help the association and industry grow. Through your nominations, we can continue the tradition of leadership that has helped position IECA as the top association in the erosion and sediment control and storm water management industry.
Also, you may nominate yourself!
We look forward to receiving your nomination for the IECA 2019 Region One Board of Directors no later than close of business, Thursday, August 9, 2018. Once all the nominations are in, we will begin the process of evaluating and selecting final Candidates, based on the eligibility requirements described below. Candidates will then be sent to the full IECA membership for approval.
Region One Board of Directors Responsibilities and Requirements
The ultimate legal responsibility and authority for IECA’s activities and fiscal affairs is invested in the Region One Board of Directors. Therefore, it is the Board’s duty to:
• Define IECA’s Mission and Purpose – The Board confirms the mission statement and reviews it periodically for accuracy and validity.
• Provide Financial Stewardship for IECA – The Board develops adequate resources to secure the financial health of the association.
• Provide Ongoing Evaluations of Organizational and Program Effectiveness – By referencing IECA’s strategic plan, the Board regularly assesses progress in achieving the association’s mission. It evaluates the relevance and success of IECA programs, monitors IECA’s responsiveness to new situations and appraises the effectiveness of the staff’s and Board’s leadership roles.
• Manage Resources Responsibly – The Board remains accountable to IECA’s members. The Board assists in developing the annual budget and ensures that proper financial controls are in place.
• Select, Evaluate and Support the Executive Director – When needed, the Board selects the most qualified Candidate for the position. The Board evaluates the Executive Director’s performance and ensures that the Executive Director has the necessary support to advance the goals of the organization.
• Maintain Integrity and Accountability – The Board ensures that IECA adheres to legal standards and ethical norms through pertinent policies and the association’s Bylaws.
• Recruit and Orient New Board Members – The Board determines the necessary requirements and procedures to become an IECA Director. Requirements are outlined in IECA bylaws and approved by membership. The Board orients new Directors to the responsibilities of the Board, officers and other appropriate positions, and to the history, needs and challenges of IECA.
• Enhance IECA’s Public Relations – The Board articulates IECA’s mission, accomplishments and goals to the membership and the public, and gathers support from appropriate affiliated groups and individuals.
Board Candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements as outlined in IECA’s by-laws, Article 5.2:
1) Board Candidates must meet the following requirements: participation in the fields of erosion control, sediment control and stormwater management; contribution to IECA; intent to provide continued service to IECA.
2) Board Candidates must demonstrate a professional affiliation with the erosion control, sediment control or stormwater management industry and list all professional organizations of which they hold membership. In addition; they shall list the committees that they serve on, all Board of Directors positions and any Officer title/s of the organization/s.
3) Board Candidates must have a minimum of three consecutive years of IECA membership, prior to the date of their candidacy.
4) It is recommended that Board Candidates participate in one of the following prior to the date of their candidacy: IECA Committee Member, Chapter Officer, Chapter Committee Member or IECA Programs (such as University Partners, Mentorship, etc.).
5) Board Candidates agree, if elected, to attend and participate in at least 75% of the regularly scheduled Board meetings.
Nominations are solicited from the Members each year for the purpose of electing three (3) Directors to the Board. Each chartered IECA, Region One Chapter is encouraged to be involved with the nomination process by submitting one Chapter-endorsed Candidate for the Board of Directors each year.
If you know of an IECA member, including yourself, who meets the above requirements and is willing to lead IECA into the future, nomination requirements based on IECA by-law, Article 5.3 are as follows:
Each Candidate for nomination to the Board of Directors shall download the Board Nomination Packet on ieca.org and submit the following information to the Executive Director, Sharan Wilson, at email@example.com:
Step 1 – Fill Out IECA Board of Directors Nomination Document
• Endorsement of three current Members
• Short bio-sketch of history with IECA or the industry
• List of association affiliations and offices held within the organizations
• Statement of why the nominee would like to serve as an IECA Director
Step 2 – Fill out Self Analysis of Leadership Skills on Nominee Board Skills Matrix Document
• On a scale of 1-5 rate yourself on various Board leadership skills
Step 3 – Provide References with Reference Board Skills Matrix Document to Complete
• References will also rank your Board leadership skills on a scale of 1-5
Step 4 – Submit Complete Packet to Sharan Wilson by August 9, 2018 to be considered for the election
• Submit all materials at once: Nomination Form, Nominee Board Skills Matrix Document, Reference Board Skills Matrix Document and a business
photo (.jpg file at least 1200 x 1200 pixels)
Acceptance of the Candidate’s nomination shall be verified by the Executive Director and the Board Executive Committee, based on fulfillment of the Candidate qualification requirements. Upon verification of the nomination, the Candidate’s bio-sketch and statement shall be placed on the ballot and distributed to all eligible Members prior to the election period.
If the Executive Director and the Board Executive Committee have determined that a conflict of interest exists, they will declare the Candidate ineligible to run for the IECA Board of Directors. The Executive Director will notify the Candidate in writing.
>> Download 2019 IECA Board Nomination Packet
If you have questions on submitting, voting or the nomination process, please contact Sharan Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 303-640-7554.
Please, submit the nomination no later than August 9, 2018. Remember to include all nomination requirements listed above.
International Erosion Control Association (IECA)
Attention: Sharan Wilson
3033 S Parker Rd, Suite 410, Aurora, CO 80014 USA
Phone: 800-455-4322 (Toll Free); +1 303-640-7554 (International)
Fax: 866-308-3087 | Email: email@example.com